Are you suffering from sciatica? You’re not alone – people across America suffer from sciatica every day. Relief begins with knowledge of the condition and how to address it, which is why our team at InSight Health & Wellness answers some of the common sciatica-related questions below.
What is sciatica and why am I experiencing it?
Sciatica is a term used to define symptoms that occur when your sciatic nerve is compressed. This nerve is the longest in the body. It begins in the lower back and splits so that it runs down each leg and to the feet. It often becomes compressed due to a herniated disc, injury, or similar issue.
Is there a way to find instant relief from sciatica?
Heat and ice therapy can sometimes help with pain management. Stretching can also help, as can changing positions or getting up for a short walk. Typically, though, these moves will only provide some temporary relief. For lasting relief, you will need to visit a chiropractor for treatment.
Can a chiropractor help my pain?
Chiropractic care is a very effective resource in helping rid patients of sciatica pain, as it treats the root cause of the condition. Through various methods, such as adjustments, decompression therapy, therapeutic exercise, and more, a chiropractor can relieve the compression on your sciatic nerve and potentially prevent it from happening again.
Is there anything I can do at home to improve my condition?
There are a few steps you can take, including:
- Avoid sitting in one position for more than 15 minutes.
- Don’t try to walk too fast, as this could put more pressure on your sciatic nerve.
- Do your best to follow proper posture, as poor posture can cause nerve compression.
- Spend some time each day stretching and exercising. It’s important to keep these activities at a moderate level. If any specific movements trigger your symptoms, stop doing them.
- Rest, but not for too long. You don’t want to overexert yourself, but being still for long periods can also have a negative impact.
Part of your chiropractic care will include recommendations of new habits, exercises, and more that you can do at home for additional pain management and healing.
Find Sciatica Relief with Our Chiropractor in Philadelphia
Sciatica can be excruciating, but it doesn’t have to be a lifelong companion. Schedule an appointment at InSight Health & Wellness for relief by calling our team today at (215) 564-6680 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.